I think that Malaysia and Brunei are the only 2 peaceful Muslim-majority countries in the world. I believe that the Muslims in Malaysia are a brilliant example to Muslims elsewhere. A more accurate description would be tolerant and easy going. However, as you and I know, there are also fundamentalists. Every religion has them. Today, I chose to talk about Islamic fundamentalism. The difference between the mainstream Islam and fundamental Islam would be :
- Muslims believe that the Qur’an is the unadulterated word of God as revealed to Muhammad through the Archangel Gabriel.
- Islamic fundamentalists assert that a correct interpretation of Islam relies solely on the Qur’an, Hadith and Sunnah, excluding tradition and popular practice.
I have been thinking to myself, why does radical Islam exist? What are the root causes?
I scoured the web for answers and I found 10 logical reasons:
- inferiority complex
- western imperialism and the damage it has done to second and third world cultures and economies
- futility and being under authoritarian leadership
- biased media indoctrination
- restraint of freedom of speech and free thought
- Islamic fundamentalists believing that it is their job to rid the world of the infidels
- a refusal of those responsible to address the issues they caused
- specific actions such as TPAJAX, the instigation of the Iran/Iraq war, and support of various sides in proxy wars that ended in the deaths of their families and neighbors over foreign struggles for control of oil resources.
- ignorance that lead to manipulations by insecure people who want control.
What do you think?
As a conclusion, I believe that there only 2 things in this world that can overcome radicalism and extremism.
- equip oneself with sound knowledge
- be open-minded and accept the fact that there will always be differences
We are all born with choices. To realize that you have the power of choice is already power itself. Never blame others for your failure to be fully accountable for your own life. If others are to blame then you have given them control. The essence of all great religions are good. =)
advocating literalistic interpretations of Islam